In 2007 the United Nations General Assembly resolved to observe 15 September as the International Day of Democracy—with the purpose of promoting and upholding the principles of democracy—and invited all member states and organizations to commemorate the day in an appropriate manner that contributes to raising public awareness.
The preamble of the resolution affirmed that:
…while democracies share common features, there is no single model of democracy and that democracy does not belong to any country or region…
…democracy is a universal value based on the freely-expressed will of people to determine their own political, economic, social and cultural systems, and their full participation in all aspects of life.
Democracy is a system of government where the citizens exercise the power by means of voting. Democratic government are considered as more liberal and open to citizens than any other form of government. Since, it is chosen by the people, the government has to listen the people.
There are basically two types of Democracy. In Direct Democracy, citizen as a whole form a governing body and vote directly in each issue means they make their law on their own. While, In Indirect or representative democracy, citizens elected a representative for them, who form the government and take decisions in favor of people.
Why we need Democracy?
In the past, when democracy was not there and Monarch was in system, people suffered lot. The Monarch system gave unlimited power to the ruler, who exploits their people in different ways with some exceptions. Some atrocities by them like :
- Killing or punishing anyone, without any consent and trial.
- Attacking foreign territories.
- Using the nation’s wealth for personal benefit.
- Imposing taxes on large scale, without concerning the condition of individual.
- No Fundamental Rights.
- A lot of restriction.
- No authority to listen the problem of citizens.
These are some problems which were the part of earlier administrative system. No doubt there were some benefits also, but the disadvantages posses more weight. So what all benefits are provided by the system of democracy to citizens.
- No killing or punishing anyone without trial on the basis of law which is equal for all.
- The administrator and the citizens all are equal.
- The ruler is chosen by the people.
- The nation’s wealth can only be use for nation’s benefit.
- Fundamental rights are provided.
- Citizens are free to live.
These are some basic benefits which are provided by the democracy. There are other form of government also which are active in many countries, but Democracy is the most popular of all in present and so we celebrate 15th September every year to promote and aware the people about democracy.