The United Nation’s International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women is an occasion to raise public awareness toward violence against Women, all over the world. It has been observed on 25th Nov each year since 2000.
Violence Against Women
The violence against women are evident from ancient period and is continuing in 21st century. There are different kind of violence against women in society including Harassment, Molestation, Rape, Abuse, Discrimination and Domination. The so-called Male dominated society in past has given in all these kind of violence against Women. Consequently, the era of equality is still witnessing these violence, which is a matter of concern.
The United Nation, which was made for various other reason, includes to protect the rights of minorities, women, children and the needy person. Thus, Elimination of Violence Against Women is one of the important matter of concern for international authorities.
Violence against women and girls (VAWG) is one of the most widespread, persistent and devastating human rights violations in our world today remains largely unreported due to the impunity, silence, stigma and shame surrounding it.
In general terms, it manifests itself in physical, sexual and psychological forms, encompassing:
- intimate partner violence (battering, psychological abuse, marital rape, femicide);
- sexual violence and harassment (rape, forced sexual acts, unwanted sexual advances, child sexual abuse, forced marriage, street harassment, stalking, cyber- harassment);
- human trafficking (slavery, sexual exploitation);
- female genital mutilation; and
- child marriage.
Various Reports on Violence Against Women
- UN Report on Violence Against Women
- NCRB (India) Report
The 2019 theme for the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women is ‘Orange the World: Generation Equality Stands Against Rape’. Like in previous years, this year’s International Day will mark the launch of 16 days of activism that will conclude on 10 December 2019, which is International Human Rights Day.
#GenerationEquality #orangetheworld and #spreadtheword.
What we can do?
In the modern era, there is no space for violence against women. And to eliminate this devil from our society, everyone has to take an individual step, since the violence is provoked by an individual only and sometimes a group of people. We could do a lot of things like :
- Giving equal strength and autonomy to women in our home first.
- Raise Awareness of the Dangers of Harmful Tradition.
- Tackle Violence against girls in school only.
- Challenge and Speak about violence in the home.
- Engage boys and men to become agent of change.
- Embolden girl to speak out.
Reference : https://www.un.org/en/events/endviolenceday/