Nowadays, Cloud has taken the priority of everyone. Every company and individual are dependent on Cloud services. Various aspects of Cloud application as a storage service has been discussed here. It describes the various importance and capability of storage service application of cloud service.
Cloud: Storage as a Service :
Storage as a Service is one of the services provided by the cloud. Other services include Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service, and Software as a Service. Storage as a Service is a service that provides for the virtual (for the client) storage for companies around the world. It helps in reducing the cost of any company to install a data center or storage room to store their important data. Here, the data is stored off-premise, the location is not known to the user thus they called it virtual storage while the data can be accessed anywhere on or off-premise with the help of the Internet. Thus, called Cloud Storage, as the Internet helps in accessing the stored data anywhere in the world. Sometimes, in personal use or for business use, the user has the illusion for unlimited storage, but that is not true as it provides enough data to compute our task, but when the limit crosses the task is overloaded to other servers without disturbing the user, making an illusion of unlimited storage.
Why Cloud Storage?
Cloud storage is often seen as a good alternative for small/medium-sized company, who lacks budget/capital to implement and maintain their Datacenter or Storage infrastructure. It is often chosen to mitigate disaster, as any natural or human-made disaster can result in the loss of important data. While Cloud storage provides for recovery feature with higher security and backups. The Cloud provider always keeps a minimum of 2 backups for any data, so that any loss in original data can be recovered. Whereas, the company who is lacking in the capital even to implement storage infrastructure, how it could be able to keep 2 more backups.
There is mainly three Cloud Storage model :
- Public Cloud: Public clouds are the cloud that is provided by companies like Amazon’s S3, which is a public cloud and can be borrowed by anyone. Any person can access the cloud-based on their privilege. This cloud is pay-on-use, i.e. pay for cloud used.
- Private Cloud: Private cloud provides for a dedicated server for the client behind their wall. This helps the organizations who want their data to be more owned by them so that they can modify it based on their requirement.
- Hybrid Cloud: Hybrid cloud is the combination of Public and Private cloud. In this type, the user must use a minimum one Public and one Private cloud. The user can save their unstructured data in public and structured data in the private cloud.
- Community Cloud: In this cloud storage service, the cloud is dedicated to one community and they can access that cloud from anywhere around the world. Like, GitHub is a community cloud, where any coder can share their work at one place.
Functionalities of Cloud Storage :
- Data Security: Data stored at Cloud storage are secured by default; with encryption at data transit as well as the storage area. It also provides for authentication service to authenticate the user. The overall encryption, authentication provides for better security of data. Apart from this, the minimum 2 backups of each data help for recovery in any need in the future. Authentication asks the user to make an account with the username and password. In addition to it, cloud storage also provides Authorization feature which asks for the privilege allowed to the various uses of that particular account.
- Data reliability: Traditional storage or storage like Network storage needs for the presence of users near the data center or connected to the network. While Cloud storage provides for data anywhere in the world with higher availability. The data is always available to users with some organizations like Amazon’s S3 assuring of 99.99% availability of Data.
- Data Backups and Recovery: Cloud Storage provides for scalable data backups. The data are back up at the different servers or different locations so that when there is a loss of data at one place, the other data could be used as a backup. It also provides for data recovery to users with the Import/Export option, which helps the users to recover their data more easily with no modification.
- Content Storage and Distribution: Cloud Storage provides for a high variety of content. It could be service-specific like mail storage, image storage and it could be stored for various content at one with file, media, and database. It also easy to share the data from cloud storage as the Distribution function is presented in default.
- Autonomous System: Cloud Storage is autonomous i.e. it requires less human effort to handle any kind of situation. Like, it maintains the demand of the user. If the demand is more it will automatically increase the storage and thus charge as peruse. It automatically alerts the user for renewal, payment, etc. Thus, it also sometimes referred to as ‘pay per use’ service, hence it saves the storage area as well as money of the user.
- No Infrastructure: In any other storage system, the organization needs to implement various devices and infrastructure to make a data center for its storage system. While cloud storage did not need any kind of infrastructure, it only needs an account of the user. It is simple, normal, efficient, and reliable. The cloud storage data center is made very efficient and strong to provide data at 99.99% accuracy without any obstacles.
Evolution of Cloud :
Here is a diagram to show the evolution of cloud application as a storage service.
The above Fig 2.0, represents the evolution of cloud Storage step by step. The first part shows the Traditional Storage, where the user directly sends the data to the storage device or storage center. In this system, the user cannot get access to the storage system without physically connecting to the system through the connecting device.
The second part shows the Hosted Storage, In this system Internet, is used. Here the user can store their data at a far storage system but within the network. This, storage is an extended version of Traditional storage where the Internet is used to extract the data from the storage system without physically connecting to it.
The last and final part shows the Cloud-based Storage, In this, there is the use of Cloud-based storage system which is placed anywhere on the earth. The user can create its storage on these storage systems by writing its various commands. This would help in getting the data anywhere around the world. This also helps in the organization’s less effort to implement any kind of infrastructure to store its data.
Comparison between Traditional and Cloud Storage Service
|Traditional Storage (Earlier)||Cloud Storage (Present)|
|Need to carry the Storage device, wherever one visit.||Can be accessed from anywhere from the Internet|
|Not Secure||Highly Secure|
|Data storage is highly expensive||Data storage is cost-effective.|
|Low Reliable and Durable.||Highly Reliable and Durable.|
|Sometimes, the amount of storage left unused, waste of storage and money||It is one demand service, storage is provided as per requirement, save storage and money.|
|Backing Up and Recovery is Expensive, sometimes not available||Backup and Recovery is provided by the provider.|
|Need Human effort to manage and handle Storage devices.||It is automatically provided by the provider, the user did not need to do anything, just log in.|
|Any natural or human-made disaster can result in the loss of important data.||Even after the loss of data on the user side, it can be recovered from the provider.|
|Users can have full control of their data.||Less ownership of data.|
|Example: Hard Disk, Personal Storage System.||Example: Amazon’s S3, Dropbox|
Different Cloud with Various Service
Different cloud storage providers provide a cloud for various tasks, some are specific, and some are a combination of all requirements. Here, is some known cloud storage service available and people are using for personal use:
- All-in-one office/cloud/workflow: Box, Google Drive, or Nextcloud
- Apple users: Amazon, Dropbox, or Google Drive (until iCloud Drive matures)
- Backup: Google Drive, Cloud.
- Ease of use and multiple devices: Dropbox
- Google users: Google Drive
- Linux users: Nextcloud
- Users who place a high value on having data control: Box or Nextcloud
- Windows users: OneDrive
Some task-specific cloud includes Google Photos for saving Photos only, Other includes Google Drive for the overall requirement. Thus, from above all the learning and available resource we can understand that in the present era of digitization, the use of Cloud Storage as a service is good to our data and our time. In the busy schedule of ours, the availability of resources at any place with accurate data with modification helps us in saving time and utilizing it in other spaces.
Sometimes, many people fear the security of their data that is stored in a third party. It is possible that the provider can sell the data of the user without his/her permission. But, this kind of case arises rarely. Thus, it is important to select a trustful provider like Oracle, Amazon, Google, etc.